"The enemy who is against the laws of nature will lose his battle before he begins to fight.
The first priority to the ninja is to win without fighting." - Soke Hatsumi Masaaki

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Why I study Bujinkan

When I was a child of about 11 or 12, I saw the movie American Ninja (the first one and second one). I regular looking guy who fought with honor, speed, stealth balance and great skill. After I saw that I just had to find out more, I decided "When I am older I will go to Japan and see if it is real and study to become a Ninja".

Well being someone who loves to learn I couldn't wait, I just dove right in. First I went to the library to see what I found books by people claiming to have been to Japan. One Author which I wont mention at the moment but all within the Ninjutsu world know. Whatever his reasons or disagreements about things he shouldn't have done. Ether way that was how I found that Ninjutsu really does exist.

From there I read and practised everything I could. Now my Dad got me interested in Martial Arts when I was 5 on my first day of school some kid thought it would be funny to smack me across the head with a big stick. Long story short my Dad made sure I would me caught not knowing what to do again. So up until I was 16 I studied a number of different arts including Aikido, Kempo and of course tons and tons of books.

Now I said until I was 16 because when I was 16 one of my best mate even to this day heard of an opportunity to study Ninjutsu right down the road in a primary school. We studied with them for about 3-4 months before running out of money. But what I learnt in that short time stuck with me. I loved the way it moved, it felt, the way of movement it all felt so right and the whole "Why didn't I think of that before" many of my fellow Bujinkan peers have been through them selves.

Without going to far looking into the different Martial Arts available. I choose Bujinkan for my Primary Art because of the way it works with my body. They other areas other arts don't cover and the fact that unlike most of the Martial Arts community. Bujinkan embraces the spirit and the spiritual side of life and includes it in the studies. Hence I found my style, my art, my Taijutsu.

Years on I was able to continue my studies for about 6 months or so under the same group tho a different instructor in a different location. Now in New Zealand Bujinkan from my experience they train hard. No mucking around with that lot I can tell you. Anyway one thing led to another and I wasn't able to train anymore. I continued off and on with a 2nd kyu mate of mine who had the chance to private train with Shihan Mike Gent. (New Zealand's first to study under Soke Masaaki Hatsumi)

So anyway I reached 31 yrs and said to my self enough of this putting off stuff. I not getting any younger and there are things I want to achieve in my time here. So realising I would not be able to carry over any training ranks or whatever and have to start again. I decided to make sure I did it the best way possible for me. So I investigated all the different Ninjutsu schools and decided on IBDA International Bujinkan Dojo Association. (which is for another post)

So in my opinion a Warrior is not defined by his Art. A Warrior is who he or she is. Your Art will only add and refine to the Warrior your already are inside. Embracing your Taijutsu and looking after your self and your families well being will also refine the Warrior within. If you are looking at different styles to study I Highly Recommend Bujinkan, however please hear me on this find a style that suits you and your body, that feels natural and right when you do it. Well that's my opinion anyway hope you enjoyed this post.

No comments: